Past, Present & Future
St. Vincent High School
St. Vincent High School
St. Vincent High School 1921
St. Vincent High School 1921

St. Vincent High School

St. Vincent High School opened in September of 1906, and was founded by Rev. Fr. Thomas F. Mahar, Pastor of St. Vincent Parish. Fr. Mahar was also the founder of St. Mary Parish and High School. The first graduating class included 4 graduates in 1910.

According to the "Course Instruction Booklet," dated 1915-1916... "Five Courses are offered: Classical, Latin, Scientific, English and Commercial. These are planned to give an all-round High School education, also to secure a through foundation or successful college work. The studies prescribed for the first and second year are the same for all courses. All students receive graded instruction in Religion (Christian Doctrine and Sacred History)."

In 1943 the official school alma mater was changed from "When Irish Eyes Are Smiling" to a song created by 2 female students entitled, "Atop a Hill in Akron."

In 65 years of operation, St. Vincent High School graduated 6,626 students.

The STVM Alumni Office is proud to be the archive location for many of the memories, photographs and treasured scrapbooks of St. Vincent High School. The following excerpt was taken from a historical summary of the beginning of the high school in the early 1900's... "The Sister, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary from Monroe, Michigan were dubbed the "lunch bucket brigade." The sisters staffed both St. Vincent and St. Mary High Schools. They lived at St. Vincent's and carried their lunches with them each day."